Sunday, October 14, 2007

First Fire


Friday night I built the first fire of this season. First pine shavings, then pine sticks, then locust and hickory bark, then oak. Beth and Alban and I sat next to the stove while we ate roasted pepper and tomato soup and prosage brunch burgers. Mmmm. I brought the fireplace tools down from the tool shed today. A shop brush, a metal dustpan, an old coal scoop and a poker I made several years ago. They are all in their places now. When I go outside I enjoy the smell of woodsmoke. Thanks to Tim and his boys my firewood is all stacked up and ready. I have a dead chestnut oak below the house that I will cut up and carry up after Christmas. I have plenty of wood to last well beyond that time. It is a good feeling. It is not time yet for an all day fire, just a quick fire for breakfast and another for supper. I am burning the bark that Papa Haskins and Grandpa Weir stacked up. It is perfect for this purpose.

3 Comments:

Blogger Paul said...

Glad to learn that your home fires are burning once more. I shall try to add to your woodpile during Thanksgiving.

Petra and I enjoyed your Sabbath school. We'll make a point to return.

1:20 PM  
Blogger Jennifer Payne said...

I love your fires Ted!! I love how your home (and you Howes) always smell like wood smoke in the fall and winter. It always makes me think of you!! :) I can't wait for next weekend at the farm! :)

2:12 PM  
Blogger Evan said...

I was pleased and and not suprised to see that the tools of the fire ritual were described just as carefully and lovingly as the food eaten beside the stove and the varieties of tinder used.

1:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home