Tuesday, October 24, 2006

My Turn


Thirty years ago my grandmother lived in a little house next to ours. My father did her shopping for her, cleaned her house every week, and ate with her frequently. Now my father lives alone in his house 10 minutes walk from mine. I go there in the morning and evening to give him his lovenox injection. I have eaten more meals with him in the past month than I had in the previous year. We are happy to see each other but also there is the unspoken awareness that his declining health and recent loss of his wife created the necessity for the change in our relationship. We have both known that this day would come. Has he wondered as I have, if I would be as good at parental caretaking as he was?

3 Comments:

Blogger Carolyn said...

Dear Ted: Life can be awfully bumpy at times and your dad is going through a very hard time. It also is not easy for one like you with your nature of caring and reaching out to those in need. Maybe you can do some happy things together if he feels like going places and doing things. Home is a reminder of what was and can take its toll. Thinking of you all and hope there are some better days ahead. In the meantime, learn what you can about the bygone days. When our parents are no longer with us, so is a vital connection to the past.
Love,
Carolyn

8:56 PM  
Blogger Ansley said...

Hi Ted,

It's November 3, I'm in Campo Verde trying to communicate with Jenni, who is in Lima. All is well. Just wanted to say hi. Thanks for the comments on my blog. Love you lots and lots.

6:32 AM  
Blogger Jennifer Payne said...

Dear Ted...I can't imagine a more patient, experienced, and knowledgeable son to take care of a father. Your dad is blessed to have you nearby and so caring for his needs.

2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home